American Airlines food killed passenger, claims lawsuit
According to the lawsuit, Raquel and Othon Cortes were on a flight to their home in Miami and had just completed the first leg of their journey, a flight from Barcelona to New York, when dinner was served. Othon chose the chicken, Raquel chose something else, reports NewTimes.
On the ground at JFK it was apparent that something was wrong with Othon. He became pale, had stomach cramps and was suddenly very thirsty, symptoms consistent with food poisoning, in a typical time-frame.
Raquel told NewTimes that as they boarded the flight from JFK to Miami, her husband's illness was "expressed and obvious" to AA staff. Boarding anyway, things took a turn for the worse quickly with Othon presenting nausea and shortness of breath which preceded a heart attack. He was pronounced dead in Norfolk, Virginia where the plane made an emergency landing, albeit too late.Raquel and Sandra Cortes, Othon's daughter have filed suit against American Airlines and Sky Chefs, the airplane catering company that apparently prepared the meal.
The lawsuit, reported to be in excess of $1 million by Tourism and Aviation has four points:
- The chicken was poisoned.
- AA was negligent for even allowing Othon to board the flight in the first place.
- AA failed to provide medical attention.
- AA waited too long for an emergency landing.